CLAREMONT CIVIL WAR MONUMENT

CLAREMONT CIVIL WAR MONUMENT
BROAD STREET PARK

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

QUECHEE BALLOON FESTI VAL

The QUECHEE BALLOON FESTIVAL was held this past Sunday(and Saturday) which I attended in the afternoon after eating at the Weather Vane Restaurant in West Lebanon, where I also shopped in Borders. The festival is in Quechee Vermont and although I had know of it for a long,long time and had passed by it on occasion when I was unable to attend it, I enjoyed for the first time this event, although it costs some bucks, especially if you want to take a trip in a balloon! "Up,Up, and Away'-"my balloon's maroon"(know where that song comes from on a Broadway Musical?). I told them that for a few million bucks more(than the $2000 plus fee for 9 flights, I could go on a Russian shuttle into space and maybe visit the space station,etc. The festival had some chances at 25 bucks a ticket for a trip and the person announcing the thing gave a brief rundown on the State of Vermont for out-of-staters and other assorted flatlanders and any possible 'illegals' which seems to be on a number of minds these days as talk show hosts rev up fears and frenzy on this topic,blaming the poor economy on all those 'wet=backs'! Anyway, she, the announcer of the facts on VT forgot to mention that Vermont was a REPUBLIC and I reminded her of this fact that still stirs my independent blood, namely because I was born in Windsor, the birthplace of Vermont, and some of my ancestors fought in the American Revolution in Vermont!

2 comments:

  1. Due to high winds and bad weather, the balloons were only inflated at the 6 pm schedule and not flown. Glad I did not buy a ticket at @250,though you could go another time, maybe in another place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two granddaughters enjoyed the festival. They also learned to do the climbing wall. The younger girl who is eight took to it easily with some encouragement while the older girl almost stopped but then with encouragement got all the way up where you ring a bell to let everyone know your made it to the top.

    ReplyDelete